BEND, Ore. – September 16, 2015 – Economic Development for Central Oregon (EDCO), host of the 12th Annual Bend Venture Conference (BVC), has selected the 10 Early Stage and nine Growth Stage semi-finalists that may have an opportunity to compete at the BVC on Friday, October 16.
The 10 Early Stage semi-finalists were selected after review by a panel of seven experts. These companies will deliver fast, 3-minute pitches at the September 24th PubTalk and audience vote will decide which five go on to vie for the $15K BendBroadband Business prize at the 2015 BVC.
“The 10 Early Stage contenders are diverse, representing a variety of industries including outdoor recreation, consumer products and high-tech,” said Brian Vierra, Venture Catalyst for EDCO. “With real, tangible products, prototypes, and solutions, this year’s vote is going to be tough. It will be important for the voting audience at PubTalk to really consider which five ideas could successfully launch and scale into a profitable company.”
In alphabetical order, the 10 Early Stage semi-finalists that will compete at the September PubTalk are:
- AirFit: Placing gym and shower facilities in airports, located behind security, so passengers can board their next flight feeling happy, healthy and productive.
- EZ Local Eats: A mobile app that allows customers to find “local” food trucks, order food remotely, streamline “peak hour” operations, and maximize profits.
- FoodFu: A cooking competition app for iPhone that is a fun, interactive, real-life home version of popular culinary competition shows like Chopped or Top Chef.
- Gofer, Inc: Building a scalable mobile delivery app connecting billions of cubic feet of available vehicle cargo volume with consumers and merchants worldwide.
- HerbAdvisors.com: A video intensive website providing reviews of cannabis strains, products and edibles aimed to encourage users to provide their own reviews to the community.
- Outdoor Logic – Solutions: Developing products that make participating in outdoor activities easier, including the development of a prototype-ready ski and snowboard boot remover called the “DeBooter.”
- QuakeWarn: Earthquake Early Warning System that sends alerts via SMS/push notification when shaking is detected at coastal monitoring sites.
- Radventure: A peer-to-peer marketplace that helps frustrated outdoor adventure travelers explore a destination authentically, like a local.
- SnoPlanks: Manufactures high-end bamboo snowboards specifically geared toward powder and big mountain riding. Made 100% by hand in Bend, Ore.
- StaBallizer: A core training and gaming device designed to improve core strength while having fun.
EDCO has doubled its capacity at McMenamins in downtown Bend for this special PubTalk. Networking begins at 5 p.m. and the program kicks off at 5:45 p.m. For more information or to purchase a ticket, visit EDCO events.
The nine Growth Stage semi-finalists, which will be narrowed down further before the Bend Venture Conference, were selected after a thorough due diligence process by the investors. Five of the nine Growth Stage finalists will be competing for large investment dollars at BVC.
In alphabetical order, the nine Growth Stage semi-finalists are:
- Abom: Abom’s team has invented and patented a true anti-fog active technology that will prevent fog from surviving in active sports eyewear – a true fog killer.
- Cairn: Changing how outdoor enthusiasts discover and purchase products by offering a $25 monthly subscription service delivered directly to subscribers’ doorsteps, while also introducing them to new brands and products.
- Health123: Health123’s Health Activation Platform provides a digitally-scaled compliance solution enabling patients through curated content, atomized care plans and direct connections to their follow-up care professionals.
- HoneyComb: Transforming agriculture with on-demand data services and drone technology.
- NemaMetrix: Offers an early stage drug discovery platform that reduces the cost of discovery 100x by increasing the success of identifying drug candidates early.
- Odysys: Helps hotels drive more direct bookings at a lower cost. Hoteliers can connect, manage and track digital marketing efforts with one simple platform.
- Perfect Company: Perfect Company’s connected scale and interactive recipe solution revolutionizes cooking. Currently building a large, active user base on which they can build food content business.
- Scratch-it: A Software as a Service marketing solution that manages a new type of content called “reveal,” which consistently improves engagement by 10x.
- ZeroTransform: Virtual Reality will revolutionize how we interact with digital content. ZeroTransform specializes in creating these Virtual Reality worlds to capture the imagination.
The 12th Annual Bend Venture Conference takes place on Thursday, October 15 and Friday, October 16 with events happening throughout both days. For more information or to buy a ticket, visit 2015 Bend Venture Conference.
About the Bend Venture Conference
The Bend Venture Conference (BVC) is divided into two categories that consist of Early Stage and Growth Stage companies vying for investment and cash prizes. The Early Stage finalists compete for a $15,000 cash prize courtesy of BendBroadband Business, while the Growth Stage finalists could collect what is currently $400,000 in investment funds, with more still coming in from angel investors.
About Economic Development for Central Oregon
Founded in 1981, Economic Development for Central Oregon (EDCO) is a non-profit corporation, supported by private and public members and stakeholders, whose mission is to create middle-class jobs in Central Oregon by recruiting new employers to move to the region, helping entrepreneurs start new, scalable businesses, and working with businesses that are already here to grow their operations. This is the sixth year EDCO has managed the Bend Venture Conference. Learn more about EDCO at www.edcoinfo.com.